This Indigenous Business Australia program aims to improve opportunities for home ownership in particular remote areas.
The program provides a package of assistance that may include:
- Up to $13,000 grant available to meet establishment costs, like legal or financial advice, pest report, property valuation and home insurance.
- Potential $20,000 grant available for minor house renovations, repairs and maintenance (subject to eligibility).
- Low deposit requirements (from $1,500 depending on income).
Eligible applicants include Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people who:
- Are able to demonstrate a capacity and readiness to take on the responsibilities that come with owning a home.
- Have been a permanent resident of the remote community and moved for education or employment opportunities.
People who permanently move from a nominated remote location or an outstation/small Indigenous community after 1 August 2015 remain eligible for RIHL and associated grants for up to five years from the date they move.
Nominated remote locations for Remote Indigenous Home Loans (RIHL) in Queensland:
- St George