This workshop explores the principles of deliberative democracy and develops the skills needed to design and implement effective citizen engagement and deliberation activities.
Join Lyn Carson for a practical, thoughtful discussion about deliberation and citizen engagement.
Through case studies, conversation and practical activities, this workshop will help you to:
- Build skills and knowledge about ways to design and implement deliberative processes
- Focus on situations when deliberative processes are appropriate
- Consider the difference between deliberative democracy and other forms of community engagement
- Examine the practicalities of deliberative processes, including choosing expert speakers, using random selection, building participants’ critical capacity, and supporting meaningful deliberation
- Develop skills in facilitating, listening and responding to groups of citizens.
This workshop is designed for people who are interested in community engagement and public participation – including planners, urban designers, consultants, facilitators, change agents, community development practitioners, policy makers and government staff.
Your facilitator: Lyn Carson
Carson is one of Australia’s most respected practitioners of deliberative democracy and citizen engagement.
She has extensive experience in designing and evaluating deliberative democracy projects – including Australia’s first Consensus Conference, Australia's first two Deliberative Polls, Australia's first Citizens’ Parliament, and numerous Citizens’ Juries and Community Summits.
Carson is a director of the newDemocracy Foundation, an honorary professor with the US Studies Centre at The University Sydney, adjunct professor with The University of Western Sydney, and associate of The Centre for Deliberative Democracy & Global Governance at The University of Canberra. She hosts a regular Masterclass in Dialogue, Deliberation and Public Engagement at The University of Sydney. More information about Carson’s work can be found at www.activedemocracy.net.
Earlybird registration (before 20 October) is $425. For more information or to register visit Eventbrite at: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/deliberative-democracy-engaging-the-people-in-policy-making-tickets-35777704076