Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
Free interactive workshop for anyone who works with families, caregivers and communities and wants to engage them in discussions and planning around children's safety.
7 Steps to Safety is flexible and child-friendly kit that aims to help families give their children the skills and confidence to feel, and be, safe at home.
- provides information, activities and tips to help families identify circumstances that could place children at risk of harm and to develop strategies to prevent or deal with risky situations
- aims to build resilience in children by helping them to gain skills and confidence in their ability to make decisions in a range of situations
- provides information for families about preparing their children to stay home and be safe
- builds on family strengths
- provides opportunities for families to work together in creating safe and positive environments for children
- can be adapted to meet specific risk needs of individual families.
The seven steps are:
Step 1 - Make your place safe
Step 2 - Cool tools for family rules
Step 3 - Feel safe with people
Step 4 - What's special about our family?
Step 5 - Emergency
Step 6 - Ready yet?
Step 7 - Make a care plan
The kit can be used with individual families, children, parent groups and communities.
Participants will learn about 7 Steps to Safety and identify and practice ways they can use it in their work with families and caregivers.
Who should attend?
This is an interactive workshop for anyone who works with families, caregivers and communities and wants to engage them in discussions and planning around children's safety.
N.B. Participants are required to print out a copy of the kit and bring it to the workshop.
Cost - free
Duration - 3 hours